Monday, August 12, 2013

August Morning

I celebrate myself, 
and what I assume you shall assume,  
For every atom belonging to me 
as good belongs to you.  
I loafe and invite my soul, 
I lean and loafe at my ease... 
observing a spear of summer grass. 
~Walt Whitman


All your renown is like the summer flower
that blooms and dies; because the sunny
glow which brings it forth,
soon slays with parching power. 
~Alighieri Dante


In August, the large masses of berries, 
which, when in flower,
had attracted many wild bees, 
gradually assumed their bright velvety crimson hue, 
and by their weight again bent down 
and broke their tender limbs. 
~Henry David Thoreau


Whilst August yet wears her golden crown,
    Ripening fields lush- bright with promise;
Summer waxes long, then wanes, quietly passing
    Her fading green glory on to riotous Autumn.

~Michelle L. Thieme


No comments:

Post a Comment